Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Painting Color Spots Helps Me Mix Colors!

A couple of years ago, after a spate of moving, selling, renting, and buying houses, I ended up with a fistful of decorator's paint color samples from the hardware store. I starting using them to help me figure out the elusive colors needed in portraits and for unlit atmospheric passages in still lifes. Once I found what looked like a match, I would paint color spots directly on the paint chips to see which pigments I would need to get the colors in the subjects. Since then I have painted many such color spot sequences as I enjoy the challenge and pick chips that look hard to mix. Although it's a self-explanatory process, you might enjoy watching this video I made about painting color spots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AqvgPoPm2w.
An Easy Way to Improve Your Color Mixing
 

No comments: