Monday, August 8, 2011

Photography Solution

When the heat wave descended upon Virginia a couple of weeks ago taking photographs outside became a real ordeal. The structure shown here made it much easier to take photographs of my paintings. I made it out of PVC pipes and elbows and draped it with sheer white curtains to soften the light. The compact fluorescent bulbs are in lamps that can easily be respositioned to avoid glare. The setup provides a consistency that makes picture taking a snap.  For how-to details, click here.

4 comments:

LS Nelson said...

What a welcome post! I've been taking photographs of my work outdoors and getting mixed results - that still don't look exactly like the painting.
I'll give this a try. Brilliant!

Sarah F. Jayne said...

Thanks for writing, Lauren! It's easy to build but I'll go ahead and post a few details about supplies and assembly in the upcoming week. That will make it even easier. Sarah

Kirk Witmer said...

Did you dry fit the PVC components so you can disassemble for storage?
I've been thinking of doing something like this but with sheets of white foamcore. They could be held together with painter's tape for easy knockdown or fold up I think. But I haven't tried it yet.

Sarah F. Jayne said...

Hi Kirk, I added a link to a post describing the setup in greater detail. A booth built of foam core would work. Are you thinking solid top and back with windows cut into left and right sides? I probably would have done that if I hadn't already had the PVC on hand. Let me know what you devise! Sarah