Monday, July 25, 2011

So Many Flowers!


Sunflower Mix, 6 x 6"
With so many flowers and so little time, I've been doing a series of smaller paintings. This tiny 6" x 6" size is in the tradition of the Daily Painting Movement. Many artists paint a daily painting often of a simple still life subject such as a single pear, a bunch of radishes, or a sandwich. These can be quite engaging. Since painting life-size is my favorite way, I ususally paint larger canvases for the obvious reason that much of nature's bounty does not fit in 36 square inches. Ironically, and I haven't figured out why, the tiny canvases often take as long, often longer, than larger ones. This is yet another of the mysteries of painting.

2 comments:

Linda Reedy said...

I like the new painting - tree/church - nice feel to it. I have just started with Daily Painters - how is it working for you? Linda

Sarah F. Jayne said...

Thanks, Linda, good to hear from you! I love the community there. I am only wishing there were more hours in each day to paint more!